Saturday, October 4, 2008

Day 7: Graceland AKA the wall






Not so impressed with Graceland. Granted I did no go inside cause I don't care enough about Elvis to pay $30 for the "cheap" tour. The VIP tour was going for $70. But I walked around it, and in all the gift shops and such. Imagine Disneyland. Now take away Mickey Mouse and insert Elvis. That's what it was like. Shirts, mugs, golf balls, socks, posters, CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, you name it, they had it. But there was a wall outside the grounds that was covered in graffiti and note from all over the world, which was neat to look over.

Speaking of walls, I just hit one about 10 minutes ago. I don't know how to explain it, but I think a part of me has shut down to protect myself from.....well, something. I don't even know exactly what it is. But a sense of optimism has been lost, which leaves me a little hardened, but perhaps in the long run it will be for the best. It all fairness, I can't say I am surprised, I actually expected this to hit a lot sooner......

I leave you tonight with an exchange we had with a homeless man in Chicago:

Man: I bet you anything I can tell you where you got those sunglasses.

Steve: Ok, where?

Man: On your face. Oh snap! Can you spare some change?

No comments:

Post a Comment