Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Day 18: Missed chances, nuns, and that DAMN GINGER KID.

I got a call this morning from the Science Museum of Minnesota, asking me to come in for an audition for a job acting/presenting for them starting in the spring. Paid day job acting? Score!  Of course, the audition would be on a day when I am still on the road. BOO. Yet another missed opportunity I will let go after a few days of pouting. Ah well, they said they will try to reschedule but I didn't get the impression it would be anytime soon.
I saw nuns! The second show was at a catholic school, and I got to chat with nuns. I don't think I'd ever done that before. They were super cute and very nice. And I got to sit and "talk" with a bunch of 1st graders between shows. I say "talk", because it was more like an inquisition. "Are you going home now?" "Do you two live together?" "How does he change so fast?" "Why do the big kids get a different show?" "Why didn't you change costumes?" "Do we get to learn more when we're older" "Do you know my name?" " Where's your car?" etc.. Eventually I just had to walk away.
Ok. Now I have had a chance to calm down since this morning, so I think I can rationally discuss the horror that was the first show of the day. Private school, super nice teacher who let us in, gave us sweet tea, bottled water.... Kids: MONSTERS. They just screamed things out the whole time would not shut up, would not listen. Would not sit still, there was a kid in the aisle who was constantly moving around, I almost stepped on him 3 times. But the worst was this damn redheaded kid in the front row, who kept screaming. "BATTERIES! YOU FORGOT ABOUT BATTERIES!!!" " BATTERIES! YOU FORGOT ABOUT BATTERIES!!" "BATTERIES! YOU FORGOT ABOUT BATTERIES!!" Over and over and over and over and over. I was so pissed by the end of the show, I raced through the wrap up, and it took everything in my power not to drop kick that damn ginger kid. Once backstage, I was fuming. Granted, every other show has been great, and I knew this would happen eventually, but damn it he made me mad!
But now, I am zen, I have a pool about 5 feet from where I sit, I get to go to Beale Street again this weekend (going to be AMAZING AGAIN!), and I fly home for a quick visit in 9 days!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, you make me feel sooooo nostalgic for the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lace - just wanted you to know how much we miss you and how much I'm enjoying reading about your adventures. Have fun! XXOO

    ReplyDelete