Saturday, November 8, 2008

Nashville Gone Wild

I have now tried about 5 times to write a witty opening to this entry, setting up the events of last night, and I don't seem to be able to. I blame the cheap ass shitty canned beer I was drinking last night, but hey, it was free so I didn't complain at the time. 
Nashville is quite beautiful, along the river front (the Tennessee River I believe) you could not go 10 feet without running into a street musician with a guitar, fiddle, or some variation of the two. Live music everywhere you turn. While Beale Street was home of the blues, country and bluegrass were everywhere. Walking down the streets line with bars, music streaming out of everyone, it was clear that this was geared primarily for tourists, rather than locals. I purchased a $2.50 can of PBR, and settled in at Layla's Country and Bluegrass Inn. The band was rockin' and the lead singer looked like a cross between Axel Rose, the lead singer form Korn and Jerry Lee Lewis circa 1966. He put on a hell of a show, hanging from the ceiling, playing the keyboard blindfolded, and generally behaving like he was on a whole lot of uppers. 
Moving down the street, most other clubs seemed to require a cover, so we moved on to a place called Printer's Ally, which was literally a tiny little alley that consisted of a guitar bar, a karaoke bar, a hotdog stand, a "haunted" room where some guy was stabbed to death back in the 20's, and a strip club that boasted naked karaoke. Big sign out front said NUDE KARAOKE. We chose the guitar bar, beer and shots were consumed, and enjoyed the band who specialized in Journey, Air Supply, and REO Speedwagon. I continued to be intrigued by the idea of naked karaoke, did not have any trouble getting Nick and Steve to consider heading over in that direction. Ladies got in free, but the boys shelled out $15. No liquor was served, but we were able to purchase canned Bud Light in the alley, and bring it inside. Once seated we discovered that the karaoke did not actually begin until the after hours party, which was at 3am. And after hours, there was no more nakedness. At first I felt very let down, but then the leggy blond on stage threw off her g-string and broke out into Mariah Carey's  "Always Be My Baby". 
From that point on we continued to make friends with many of the girls, heard some crazy stories about "the biz", even hit the stage for karaoke at 3am, politely declining the bouncers request to take off my shirt. And all other details I will leave for another time. Some things have to be told in person to have full effect.

This trip will without a doubt leave me with enough stories to ALWAYS win Never Have I Ever.
And that makes all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment